Saturday 7 March 2015

Step into Felt and Stitch

I am excited to announce that Ellie Langley of Fleece with Altitude and I are getting together this summer to run a summer school Thursday 13th - Sunday 16th August at The Hearth in Northumberland. Ellie is another artist with a base at The Hearth and  I enormously admire her work. 
In this course  you will be using your rolling muscles straight away as on Day One you will  be plunged straight into the art of creating  your own slippers  using the many natural hues of British wool or if you prefer colour wool sourced from Piesala Farm at Petajavesi in Finland.  On Day Two you can relax a bit to explore the suitability of various wools for felt making,  Ellie will show you her studio and share her passion for British Wool. You will create some flat felt on Day Two which can be embellished  with embroidery and applique when you meet me on Day Three and Four.  I originally trained as a surface designer  for textiles so a hint of decorativeness always underlies my work. Recently I have been much inspired by Eastern European and Scandinavian Folk Art designs and I will share my working process through research, drawing and stitch design. You will practice some basic hand stitches and then develop these into  designs for embroidery on your slippers and will have a chance to use your ":flat" felt to create a small wallhanging which might incorporate a bit of applique using felt friendly materials like tweed and wool blankets. You will continue the British wool theme by using wool threads for your stitching.
If you are interest please book through the contacts page of my website.


No comments:

Post a Comment